Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Date Night In Box!

Hi guys! I'll be writing about something a little different today! So I was sent a Date Night In Box from www.datenightinbox.com and I'll be posting about my experience with it today! The theme for March was "Throwback" and Im excited to show you what was inside! was I hope you guys enjoy :-)



     As someone who is disabled and severely immunocompromised, going out on dates with my partner is not always an option. This is the case for many people, a large group being parents who just can't always afford a babysitter! That's what drew me towards Date Night In boxes- it's literally a date brought to you! I cannot go into public areas 99% of the time because of crowds or because many places are not wheelchair accessible. Because of this; dates-especially during winter- are almost impossible for me. This has always bummed me out since I truly love going on fun dates, and I miss it constantly. These boxes are such a breath of fresh air for me and I'm sure for many others who have reasons why they can't always go on "normal" nights out.


     The boxes come full of goodies and tons of fun stuff to help you have a fun night! In this month's box, we received baggies and Kool-Aid mix to make popsicles, a Rubiks Cube, two pairs of fun sunglasses, a ring pop, pop rocks, smarties, a pen with several color options, a blow up microphone, and the karaoke sheet/instruction manual. I won't lie, at first, I was a little underwhelmed. It all kind of seemed like stuff I could've easily gotten myself for under $5, nothing too fancy in my opinion :/ The booklet was pretty cool, as it describes how to log onto their website to play the special Spotify playlist made for the box and to get access to the recipes recommended to make for the night! Our recipe recommendation was homemade hot pockets (I was very excited) but since I was having pretty bad pain that day from my treatment, I opted for a quick, microwavable hot pocket :-) The other recipes were for a boozy fruit punch, a salad, and home-made dunkaroos!!! I wish I would've been able to make everything but I was able to replicate my own 'no-effort throwback meal" by replacing dunkaroos with an ice cream drumstick and some Hi-C as my beverage 🍹



     Right away we mixed the Kool-Aid up and poured it into the bags to pop into the freezer, and then we got started on the activities! The first activity in our little mixtape booklet was to answer a few questions about our childhoods from the book together. It was nice learning more things about my partner that I didn't already know!! Next we tried our hand at the trivia (which was a little tough since we were both born in the later half of the 90's) but still tons of fun! The next page in the book was M.A.S.H. which I was SUPER happy to see. I haven't played that in yeeeeeears! That was probably my favorite part.

     Once we reached the last page, we broke out the karaoke/truth or dare scratch off card and got started! I didn't love the scratch off aspect because I HATE getting my nails dirty but that is toooootally a personal problem, it was lots of fun! The little scratch off card was so cool and such a fun idea. You had no idea whether you were getting truth, dare, or a song to karaoke and it made it a little more exhilarating!  We had a lot of laughs and embarrassing moments/stories with this card that made for a super fun night. After we finished this, we got our popsicles out of the freezer and enjoyed those while watching Queer Eye! There were lots of great ideas of how to continue your date night on the last page of the booklet but we were getting pretty tuckered out at this point and conceded our date. It was a lot of fun!


     Overall I had a lot of fun with this box. It was nice to be able to actually do something with my partner and not have to stress out the whole time about germs! We had a super good time doing the activities and the snacks were all super yummy. My only criticisms would be to include two of every candy so each person gets one, and to add some more stuff to the box since it is a little bit pricey.

While we had a lot of fun, I can't completely recommend this box to anyone because the price is steep for what you receive in my opinion at $41.99 monthly per box. This definitely costs less than a fancy date night out but it is still pricey. Personally I am on disability and I know how little they give folks with disabilities, so unfortunately this box might be out of their price range. Same for parents with a tight budget :-/ A price adjustment would help tremendously here, or even just adding more to the box so you get more bang for your buck! Even offering several kinds of date night boxes at different prices would be great as well. That being said, these boxes are great ideas and very convenient for anyone and everyone who wants to give them a try! I had a blast and Im sure you will too :-) Thanks for reading, I hope you guys enjoyed learning a little more about this product! Im excited for my next box and I can't wait to share with you all how it goes :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment